Character Matters


Romans 5:1-5
March 9, 2014

Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand; and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.

            Back when I was in tenth grade I had a painful experience that in many ways changed my approach to life. It wasn’t traumatic, and it wasn’t the kind of experience that most people on the outside would look at and say, “Oh my! I feel so bad for you.” Instead, it was a minor painful experience that had ramifications for how I decided to live the rest of my life.
           
            At the time I had just completed about six straight years of being a lazy, poor student. In many ways I became that student because I became what everyone said I was. I was criticized a lot for not being a better student, yet no one ever sat down with me and said, “Can I help you learn how to learn.” I’ve learned that if you are criticized enough for not working hard enough, you eventually become what they criticize. So I became a bad student, but I was good at was sports. It was the one area where I didn’t get criticized quite as much, and where I did get praise.

            Before tenth grade my main two sports were soccer and ice hockey. I had been a starter on the 7th & 8th grade and 9th grade soccer teams, but as I got older my inability to use my left foot made it harder for me to excel. I have a basic problem with my athletic prowess. I am exceptionally coordinated with my right hand, arm, and leg. I am also exceptionally klutzy with my left hand, arm, and leg. I can feel it just standing still. If I raise my right hand, it feels capable of accomplishing anything. When I raise my left hand, it just feels uncoordinated. You give me something to do with the right side of my body, and nothing feels beyond my ability, whether it’s throwing or catching a ball, hitting a ball, grabbing something, or moving something. If all sports were just one-handed, I felt like I could have been great. But my left side was a severe problem. And it meant that my soccer career was stalling because you can only circle to your right for so long before you have to kick the ball with your left. I can kick the ball 60 yards with my right foot. I have a hard time kicking six feet with my left.

            At the same time, I was becoming very good in ice hockey, where I could be just right-handed. I was a strong and nimble skater, and I had very good stickhandling skills. I was an all-star in the Pittsburgh area in ninth, tenth, and eleventh grades. I’ll be the first to admit that Pittsburgh area ice hockey wasn’t the greatest, and being an all-star here wasn’t saying much, but in all-star games against teams from Canada, and in summer ice hockey camps with kids from New England, I held my own.

            So, I faced a dilemma. I was no longer starting on the soccer team, and my hockey practices were every Wednesday afternoon beginning at 6 p.m. The problem was that soccer practice didn’t end till 5:30 p.m., meaning that I had very little time to get to the rink three miles away, get on my hockey equipment, and get out on the rink for practice. And I loved hockey practice. I went to the coach and asked if I could get out early on Wednesdays so that I could get to my hockey practices. The coach, without even pausing to consider, flatly told me “no.” So I did what any logical tenth-grader would do. I quit.

            That evening I came home and told my father I had quit the soccer team. He asked me why, and I told him everything I just told you. Instead of saying what I expected, which would be something like, “That’s okay, Graham. You’re good in hockey, and you don’t like soccer that much,” he responded in a very different way: “Graham, you don’t quit. You never quit. You made a commitment to that soccer team, whether you like playing or not. You do not quit. I want you to go to the coach tomorrow, apologize, and ask him if you can come back on the team.” Are you kidding me? I made my best case, but you have to remember that my father was a lawyer at the time, so I wasn’t going to get far. The next day I went up to the coach in school, apologized, and asked him if I could come back on the team. He let me back on, and I pretty much sat on the bench the rest of the season.

            Having to apologize and stay on the team had a pretty big impact on me. Enduring soccer practices, which I had come to hate, day after day, changed me. It taught me to persevere. It taught me to do what Paul talks about in our passage today, and in the process it began to teach me how to develop character.

            This experience was really my first clear understanding of what Paul said in our passage when he said, “suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us.” I realize that sitting on the bench on the tenth grade soccer team doesn’t seem much like suffering to an outsider, but it was to me. I did one thing well at the time, and that was play ice hockey. It was the only thing anyone ever praised me for at the time, and it was anguish not to practice normally for the next six weeks. But I endured it, and in the process it taught me that I could endure most of anything I faced, and if I did I could get better.

            I was a very different person in high school than I am now, and it’s not because I’m older now. Back then, other than for things I had passion for, I gave up more than I put in.  And even with the things I had a passion for, I didn’t work that hard at them (hockey was the exception). My father’s making me go back, apologize to the coach, ask to be back on the team, and pretty much sitting on the bench for the rest of the season started my transformation of character. The biggest thing it taught me was to endure, which led to good things.

            The experience had an impact on my grades. One reason I had been a bad student was that I didn’t like enduring homework. I hated it. To me it felt like suffering, and studying for tests was worse. Why endure that pain when I could watch episodes of Star Trek and Kung Fu instead? But after this experience I realized I could endure homework and studying, and my grades slowly started to improve. It took a while because I had to teach myself the studying skills that many third-graders now have. My grades slowly got better throughout high school, and then throughout college where I finally made the dean’s list. They got even better in graduate school, and I was eventually able to graduate with a 4.0 gpa for my Ph.D.

            It had an impact on my eventually becoming a very good all-star lacrosse player in high school. It also had an impact on my being able to play on a national championship college team as a freshman, and starting on a nationally ranked team as a senior. What allowed me to eventually play in college wasn’t my great skill. It was the endurance I had learned from my father. As one of my college coaches told me after I graduated, most players come into the program at a pretty high level, and graduate at a very high level. I came in at a very low level and graduated at a very high level. Just like my playing ice hockey in the Pittsburgh area, which was no great shakes in places like Canada and New England, my having played in the Pittsburgh area was no great shakes in comparison to kids coming from Maryland and New York.

            I had to have endurance to play lacrosse in college because for those four years I was an outsider. I didn’t come from a lacrosse area. I hadn’t played with or against any of the kids on the team, or on any college teams. No one from this area at the time, except one teammate of mine who became an All-American goalie, really played at the top levels of lacrosse. The coaching and the competition we faced in high school just weren’t good enough. So I was an outsider on the team. For those four years I practiced, worked, and played, yet I barely had any teammates ever talk with me. I can only guess that it was because I was an outsider, since in every other area of my life, including every other sports team I have played on, I was fully accepted and developed great friendships. College lacrosse was the exception. I’m sure my teammates might have a different story to tell, but from the first try-outs no one talked to me. I wouldn’t even get a “hi.” But I endured. I stuck with it. More skilled and accepted players quit because they were sitting on the bench, but I stayed with it. I had learned my lesson about quitting, and it allowed me to eventually succeed. I always wish I had had one more year, but I still managed to start and play at the highest level at that time. The endurance led to develop the character to never quit, and that character led to hope, and that hope led to joy.

            This endurance had an impact on my eventually getting into graduate school, to eventually getting a Ph.D., to writing a number of books and carving out a unique career. And it had an impact on becoming a pastor, and especially being a different kind of pastor. One thing I’ve learned as a pastor is that if you don’t fit into a typical churchy box, you get criticized. I’ve been criticized by other pastors and church members in this town for the way we are as a church, and I’ve been criticized by other pastors and church members in our presbytery for not being their kind of pastor. For example, one pastor in our presbytery has complained to others that “I swear, Graham Standish waits to see how I’ll vote before he decides to vote the other way.” As if I’ve ever had a problem having my own beliefs and opinions. But it doesn’t matter. What I’ve learned is to have enough character to be true to how I’ve been called by God to be, and not to try to be what others demand that I be. God didn’t call me to be them. God called me to be me, and I think this is also what has allowed Calvin Church to become a church that reaches out to very different kind of people—the kind of people who normally won’t go to a typical Mainline church or a contemporary, conservative evangelical church.

            All along, this endurance has made me a tremendously hopeful person because I have seen how endurance pans out. If we are willing to persevere, be self-disciplined, and endure, we find out that things work out in the end. In fact, it is this endurance through difficulties that gives us the time and experience to discover that what we thought was a disaster or hopeless eventually gives way to great possibility.

            It’s the lack of endurance and character, which eventually leads to hope, that often is the problem with suicides. Suicides are tragic, especially because most teen suicides are for kids who could have found hope if they had hung on long enough. So often at the funerals of teen suicides you hear testimonies of people saying that the teen had so much potential, so much to live for. And that is true. Most likely he teen would have discovered hope and joy if she or he had just endured. I see the same things with addictions. Many alcoholics and other addicts aren’t willing to endure. They can’t imagine life without their booze, drug, fix, or high. They can’t endure normalcy. But those who get through recovery find hope because they discover that committing themselves to something better makes things better. Giving up makes things worse. As Paul said, if you are willing to endure struggles and suffering, the character that comes out of it makes many things possible

            I believe life is filled with joy, wonder, and great surprises, but if you don’t form the character that comes from the willingness to endure struggles, you can’t find it. If you spend your life complaining about how you can’t get a fair shake, you never find that joy. The truth is that nobody in life every gets a fair shake. It’s endurance and character that leads to our creating fair shakes for ourselves. If you spend your life complaining about what you don’t have, you never find that joy. If you spend your life frustrated because things don’t come your way, and it’s all too hard, you never find that joy. But if you are willing to endure and allow character to be built, you can find joy in everything because you find hope in every situation.

            Amen