How Do We Find Happiness? Seeking Balance


Acts 10:9-16
October 5, 2013

 About noon the next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat; and while it was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the heaven opened and something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four corners. In it were all kinds of four-footed creatures and reptiles and birds of the air. Then he heard a voice saying, ‘Get up, Peter; kill and eat.’ But Peter said, ‘By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is profane or unclean.’ The voice said to him again, a second time, ‘What God has made clean, you must not call profane.’ This happened three times, and the thing was suddenly taken up to heaven.

            I burned out at age 24,… and it was a bad burnout. Normally you don’t think of people burning out at that young an age, although it happens. It’s not hard to find top athletes who burn out from their sport, and abruptly quit. You find similar stories among young musicians, dancers, and graduate students. And I was one of them. I burned out from a vocation I had pursued since I had been 15 years old, which was counseling.

            Above everything else, I wanted to be a great therapist. I had majored in psychology, done internships the Roanoke County Probation Court to be trained as a therapist. I then got a job as a therapist with adolescents and children in a psychiatric hospital. I was doing everything I had wanted. But I was slowly falling apart. It was a combination of factors that led me to be burned out. The hospital had little regard for its workers, which meant that the schedule was demanding. I continually followed an evening shift with a morning shift, or an evening shift with a night shift, and I got only every third weekend off. Also, I had broken up with my college girlfriend, so I was feeling very alone, with no time to be with others outside of work. In the midst of this personal stress, we had a particularly violent group of kids. Some of them threatened me with bodily harm as they stalked the halls hoping to catch me alone. I couldn’t do it anymore, so I quit without any other job prospects. Worse, my career plans were dashed.

            This burnout eventually led me on a six-year journey of moving home, going to graduate school for counseling, on to seminary, and eventually becoming a pastor. As a result of that burnout I became a big believer that a key to happiness, and to discovering God, is living a balanced life. My burnout was the result of a massive imbalance of life. It’s often not our work that kills us, but how unbalanced our work can make us.

            You would think that now that I’m a pastor, I must have an easy time being balanced. If there is any career that supports balance, it’s ministry, right? Pastors are people who teach balance, so they must be balanced.

            Most people wouldn’t think of ministry as a burnout career, but it has one of the highest burnout rates of any vocation. Many people think that we pastors preach on Sundays, and then don’t do much the rest of the week. They think that it’s really just a career of reading, praying, visiting a few people, and then preaching. What could be better? That’s not the way ministry is in reality.

            Ten years ago, our staff secretary, Michelle Shepler, had a conversation with one of our members. The member was in the office, and made a comment to her that I’m so lucky because I have such an easy life. All I do is preach on Sundays and hang out the rest of the week. Michelle said to her, “Are you kidding? No one works more than him.” She then went on to go through a typical week of mine, along with all the things that happen in the church that I have to pay attention to. Michelle said it took her about twenty minutes to go through everything. Afterwards, the woman said to her, “Oh my God. Why would anyone choose a career like that? I had no idea.” 

            I don’t say this to get pity or sympathy from anyone. It’s more to make a point: if pastors have so much trouble achieving balance in their lives, how are we all supposed to get balance. The reality is that ministry is very unbalanced, and the stats related to clergy burnout are pretty striking. This all comes from a 2010 article in the New York Times, which said that:

Members of the clergy now suffer from obesity, hypertension and depression at rates higher than most Americans. In the last decade, their use of antidepressants has risen, while their life expectancy has fallen. Many would change jobs if they could.
  • 23% have been fired or pressured to resign at least once in their careers.
  • 25% feel like they don't know where to turn when they have a family or personal conflict or issue.
  • 33% felt burned out within their first five years of ministry.
  • 33% say that being in ministry is an outright hazard to their family.
  • 40% of pastors and 47% of spouses are suffering from burnout, frantic schedules, and/or unrealistic expectations.
  • 45% of pastors say that they've experienced depression or burnout to the extent that they needed to take a leave of absence from ministry.
  • 50% feel unable to meet the needs of the job.
  • 52% of pastors say they and their spouses believe that being in pastoral ministry is hazardous to their family's well-being and health.
  • 56% of pastors' spouses say that they have no close friends.
  • 57% would leave the pastorate if they had somewhere else to go or some other vocation they could do.
  • 70% don't have any close friends.
  • 75% report severe stress causing anguish, worry, bewilderment, anger, depression, fear, and alienation.
  • 80% of pastors say they have insufficient time with their spouse.
  • 80% believe that pastoral ministry affects their families negatively.
  • 90% feel unqualified or poorly prepared for ministry.
  • 90% work more than 50 hours a week.
  • 94% feel under pressure to have a perfect family.
  • 1,500 pastors leave their ministries each month due to burnout, conflict, or moral failure.
  • Doctors, lawyers and clergy have the most problems with drug abuse, alcoholism and suicide.

            Again, I don’t say all of this to generate a pity party for me or for my vocation. I don’t fit into any of those categories, but I think that part of this has to do with my burnout at age 24. I guard my life and my family to prevent burnout. I do things like making sure that when I’m at the church I’m at the church, but when I’m home I’m home. I take time to exercise, pray, and I try as best I can to eat very healthy. I try to get enough sleep, and when I feel overwhelmed I take time for breaks. Also, until this year we sent our children to a Catholic elementary school, and one reason is so that they could grow up without feeling the pressures of being pastor’s kids. My point still isn’t even about my balance. It is making the point that even in a career that should be the most balanced, it is incredibly easy to become imbalanced.

            The fact is that clergy aren’t alone. Most Americans live unbalanced lives that can lead to burnout. And many, many of us walk around without a sense of balance in our lives. This imbalance is a reason why it can be so hard for people to find happiness.
Why is it so hard to live a more balanced life? There are a number of reasons, but two stand out.

            First, American culture often skews to the extremes, and this skewing often leads to imbalance. It’s not hard to find evidence of American extremes. I’ll offer a few. For instance, look at drinking patterns at most college students. Drinking has been a part of college life for hundreds of years, but the patterns have changed in the last 10-20 years. What researchers are noticing is that college students tend either towards teetotalling or binging, but not moderation. Recent studies have shown that binge drinking has increased exponentially, with students regularly drinking six, seven, eight beers in a night on a regular basis,… or they don’t drink at all.

            This is very different from a biblical view of drinking. I’m not presenting the Baptist view, but the actual view, which is drinking in good, in MODERATION. The ancient Jews had a saying, which was “Without wine there is no joy.” Ancient people drank wine all day long because the water was bad and the wine killed germs. They drank a diluted mix. They also drank regularly at worship, celebrations, and more. Wine was considered a gift from God that helped forge relationships. But drinking to drunkenness was taboo. If you drank to the point of being drunk, people would turn their backs on you. It was very clear that alcohol was okay, but drunkenness was an abuse of God’s gift.

            Americans also tend towards excessive ideals in diet and exercise. There are so many diets out there that emphasize extremes: eat only bananas for three weeks, then switch to rice for a week, then move to only fruit smoothies. Of course, this is an exaggeration, but there are a lot of extremes in terms of diet—only meat protein, or only vegan, or only carbs, or only… whatever. There are similarities in exercise where people feel like you have to be able to run a marathon to be fit, or bench press 400 pounds, or climb 200 foot cliffs in under an hour. Actually, what most researchers have found is that eating a truly balanced diet (30% protein, 70% fruits and vegetables) leads to the healthiest diet, while just walking 20-30 minutes a day, and doing light weight lifting three times a week, is enough to make you healthy.

            Americans are extremists. I think our unofficial American motto should be if a little is good, a lot is great!

            There’s a second reason why we have such a hard time with balance. It’s what I call “The Committee of Our Selves.” Basically, each one of us is not a “me” but a “we.” One of the reasons we consistently do things we don’t want to do—cheat on diets, say inconsiderate things to loved ones, and have a hard time changing habits—is that we aren’t a self, but a collection of selves.

            Scientists who study the brain are increasingly aware that our minds are made up of a collection of different regions that are all concerned with different parts of our lives. And these different regions don’t always agree on what our life priorities are. Let me use my mind as an example.

            First, in my mind there is “Macho Guy.” Macho Guy is the part of my brain that’s concerned with how manly I am. Am I tough enough, am I strong enough, am I muscly and fit enough? This part of me is concerned with my status and strength in life. There’s nothing worse to this part of me than being weak and unmanly.

            There’s also Glutton Guy. He’s the guy who could care less how fit and strong I am. He’s the one who says, “You’ve worked enough, you’re fit enough… Now it’s time to EAT!  Have some more chips. Have another glass of wine. What, you’ve had two already?  Go ahead and have two more.”  Glutton Guy regularly fights with Macho Guy.

            These two are offset by Studly Guy. Studly Guy walks around, thinking, “Do the girls like me? Am I attractive enough? I certainly need some new clothes to make me more attractive.” Studly Guy has visions of looking like a movie star, and is in regular conflict with the other guys.

            One of the guys that Studly Guy fights with regularly is Emo Guy. Emo Guy is very emotional. He constantly whines and complains that, “Nobody likes me. Nobody understands me. I have too much work. I’m getting angry,… no, sad,… no, giddy,… no,… I don’t know what I am.”

            Emo Guy cries and gets upset at everything, which feeds right into Anxious Guy. Anxious Guy sits around all day wondering “what if?” What if this project doesn’t work right? What if I don’t have enough money? What if there isn’t a God? What if there is? What will I do if things don’t work out?

            Anxious Guy is never content, and he really bugs Morality Man. Morality Man likes things to be black and white. He sees things in terms of right and wrong. He knows what is right, and is good at judging others according to these clear delineations (although he can be much more forgiving when he’s the one who breaks the moral code).

            Moral Guy sometimes gets along with Giving Guy, the guy who loves to give things to others. This guy loves to have parties because he loves to give others good food and drink, making him a sometime friend of Glutton Guy. Giving Guy is a romantic, and also likes to give to charities, do good deeds, and care about people. The problem is that Giving Guy generally irritates Macho Guy, Anxious Guy, Emo Guy, and Studly Guy.

            Every once in a while Intellectual Guy helps out Giving Guy, but only when it makes rational sense and will bring something back in return. Intellectual Guy likes to think everything through, which puts him in regular conflict with Emo Guy.

            The whole point of this is that we are a constant conflict of different desires, temperaments, and concerns, and they all pull us all the time toward imbalance. It’s because of this Committee of the Selves that Paul said in Romans 7, “I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.” Our committee is always in conflict, and we get out of balance as one “guy” or another gets control. So we careen from gluttony to emotionality to steely intellectuality to morality and onward.
           
            We actually bring balance to our committee by letting Spiritual Guy run the committee. Spiritual Guy is in touch with God, with what our purpose is, and with how God wants us to be. He works with the others to transform us into healthier, happier people. Spiritual Guy balances the concerns of all of them, but puts them into a healthier balance.

            Bringing Spiritual Guy to the table simply means giving a priority to how we know we are supposed to live, but in a way that’s balanced. We don’t want Spiritual Guy to take over to the point where everything else is denied.

            The point of all of this is that we are called to balance because it is in this balance that we find happiness.
            Amen.