The Secret to a Happy Life: Be Envy Free–, by Rev. Connie Frierson -- 1 Kings 21:1-21


   
1 KINGS 21:1--21A 
1Later the following events took place: Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard in Jezreel, beside the palace of King Ahab of Samaria. 2And Ahab said to Naboth, "Give me your vineyard, so that I may have it for a vegetable garden, because it is near my house; I will give you a better vineyard for it; or, if it seems good to you, I will give you its value in money." 3But Naboth said to Ahab, "The LORD forbid that I should give you my ancestral inheritance." 4Ahab went home resentful and sullen because of what Naboth the Jezreelite had said to him; for he had said, "I will not give you my ancestral inheritance." He lay down on his bed, turned away his face, and would not eat.
5His wife Jezebel came to him and said, "Why are you so depressed that you will not eat?" 6He said to her, "Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, 'Give me your vineyard for money; or else, if you prefer, I will give you another vineyard for it'; but he answered, 'I will not give you my vineyard.'" 7His wife Jezebel said to him, "Do you now govern Israel? Get up, eat some food, and be cheerful; I will give you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite."
8So she wrote letters in Ahab's name and sealed them with his seal; she sent the letters to the elders and the nobles who lived with Naboth in his city. 9She wrote in the letters, "Proclaim a fast, and seat Naboth at the head of the assembly; 10seat two scoundrels opposite him, and have them bring a charge against him, saying, 'You have cursed God and the king.' Then take him out, and stone him to death." 11The men of his city, the elders and the nobles who lived in his city, did as Jezebel had sent word to them. Just as it was written in the letters that she had sent to them, 12they proclaimed a fast and seated Naboth at the head of the assembly. 13The two scoundrels came in and sat opposite him; and the scoundrels brought a charge against Naboth, in the presence of the people, saying, "Naboth cursed God and the king." So they took him outside the city, and stoned him to death. 14Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, "Naboth has been stoned; he is dead."
15As soon as Jezebel heard that Naboth had been stoned and was dead, Jezebel said to Ahab, "Go, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give you for money; for Naboth is not alive, but dead." 16As soon as Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, Ahab set out to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it.
17Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying: 18Go down to meet King Ahab of Israel, who rules in Samaria; he is now in the vineyard of Naboth, where he has gone to take possession. 19You shall say to him, "Thus says the LORD: Have you killed, and also taken possession?" You shall say to him, "Thus says the LORD: In the place where dogs licked up the blood of Naboth, dogs will also lick up your blood."
20Ahab said to Elijah, "Have you found me, O my enemy?" He answered, "I have found you. Because you have sold yourself to do what is evil in the sight of the LORD, 21I will bring disaster on you; I will consume you, and will cut off from Ahab every male, bond or free, in Israel;
      
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Today’s scripture is right from the lectionary. How many have never heard the story of Naboth’s Vineyard before? How many of you know this story well?   So this is a brand new story to the majority of our congregation. That means to get the wisdom out of the marrow of this story it is worth retelling. 
         **There was this little guy, Naboth. Naboth had a little vineyard, part of his ancestral lands. He made some wine, supported his family. Naboth is a good guy.  Then there was this big guy, Ahab, King of all the Israelites.  The big guy is very fancy. He has a fancy house, next to the little guy’s vineyard.  Ahab wants to do some improvements. Which means the little guy’s gotta go. So the king makes him an offer. It’s a good offer. The little guy shoulda taken the offer.  But the little guy says, “God forbid that I should sell my ancestral lands.” So the big guy goes home and lies on his couch. He won’t get up. He won’t eat. He turns his face to the wall.  His wife gets tired of the guy laying and moaning on the couch. So she says to him, “Aren’t you the king of Israel? Be a man!” But Ahab just lies on the couch.  So the wife, Jezebel, says, “I’ll show you how it’s done.”  She knows some guys. They make some trouble. The little guy has a terrible accident with a bunch or stones. Bada bing, bada boom, next thing you know no more little guy and the king get’s a new garden. Thank God such a thing would never, never happen here.
         There is wisdom in this tale of Naboth and Ahab. We like to put this gruesome little tale far away from us as odd ancient history from the Old Testament, or to think of it as an episode from The Soprano’s. But this is an insight and wake up call that we should pay attention to. This story reveals a part of our nature. But to understand the story better we need some background. Why wouldn’t Naboth sell his land? According to Deuteronomy the tribal parcels were really important. This land was a gift from God to Naboth’s family and Naboth’s tribe. Land was a gift and an obligation. This was a bad time to be a real estate agent. There was not much selling and buying of property, because if you sold your lands, by religious law you needed to buy them back for the welfare of you family as soon as possible. Whether your family ate or starved depended on keeping a plot of land. You sold your land right before you sold your children. Selling land was an extreme measure. It damaged the continuity of God’s gift to the twelve tribes and it was a violation of religious law. Naboth had to reject the offer. His rejection is based on religious obligation and family obligation. This rejection of Ahab’s offer leads to the king’s depression, a plot by Jezebel, lies, perjury, and murder. But what has this to do with us? None of us here have ever wanted more wealth or prestige or power, right?
         Or maybe we have just a little bit. I’m going to start with a personal story that gives me still some pangs of regret and shame and embarrassment. It always feels more satisfying to tell a story about someone else. But often what is healthier is to turn your eyes to your own life. So here goes. Long, long ago in the last century, and far, far away in Sin City, Las Vegas, I was a young woman, in the Go-Go 80’s. This was a time when Baby Boomers had put away youthful attempts to change the world and had started to have real jobs and make real money. In a popular movie Wall Street a thinly veiled fictional character, Gordon Gekko, played by Michael Douglas, decreed, “Greed is good.” In that age everything big was good, big hair, big shoulder pads, big furs even in Vegas. And Vegas was the epicenter of BIG. After years of waitressing jobs or part time jobs or student jobs in college and law school, I had a real, solid, “life on your own” paycheck. And I thought I was rich. I rented a modern one-bedroom apartment with real appliance, not an efficiency or a little place in a cut up old house with a humming 30 year-old Frigidaire and a hot plate. When I got my first paycheck I sent money home to my mom. She never asked for it but she paid for my college, covered my health insurance through school and always showed up with groceries. So it seemed fair to share with her my good fortune.   As I was cooking dinner, I would have the TV on. In the background would be a show, “Life Styles of the Rich and Famous” with Robin Leach. Wildly extravagant homes and cars and pools would be toured.  And Robin would sign off every program with “Champagne wishes and caviar dreams.” It was incredibly hokey. I would laugh at it.  But I noticed that gradually my paycheck didn’t seem as grand as it once did. Going to discount stores didn’t seem as fun as going to the elegant department stores in the new mall next to Caesar’s Palace. Over time a terrible thing happened. That money I sent back each month seemed like a bigger and bigger chunk of my pay. I rationalized that mom never asked for this.  She probably doesn’t need it. If I kept it I could save more and actually it was mine really. Mom would want me to use it.  So though in the next several years my income increased, my sharing with my mom dwindled and dwindled and eventually stopped. My mother never reproached me for my lack of generosity. For she had learned not to covet but I had not.
         Envy and covetousness had bitten me. Envy is defined as a feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with desire for the possessions or qualities of another. Covetousness defined as a craving for possession, often the craving for something that belongs to another. So these two sins are intertwined and bound together in an unholy duo. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins. The tenth commandment “Thou shallt not covet” is arguable the basis of many of the other Ten Commandments Other commandments prohibit outward action. But to covet is an inward process. This inward disposition leads to outward action.  Our scripture today, the story of Naboth and Ahab and Jezebel, is an ancient wisdom that shows us the real danger of envy and covetousness. Coveting a vineyard led to lies, theft, blaspheming and murder.
         So who was this green-fingered King Ahab and did he really need another garden? Ahab was king of the Ten Northern Tribes of Israel.  Earlier in Hebrew history the Promised Land had fallen into disunion and the northern territory was now Israel and southern territory was Judah. Ahab was a really financially successful king of Israel for a large portion of his 22-year reign. The bible says that Ahab had a house of ivory. Often readers have thought of as poetic license, a literary flourish with no basis in fact. But now archeologists have recovered fabulous ivory carvings from his palace in Samaria. Scholars have found references to Ahab’s Ivory Palace in other ancient records. The house of ivory was literal. The artistry and the craftsman’s ship show tremendous wealth and luxury for his age. Ivory was the ultimate luxury building material, right up there with Oprah Winfrey’s gold faucets on her bathtub. Ahab would have been featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous had there been a syndicated program in ancient Israel. Ahab confused need and want. Covetousness is about want and desire. Covetousness is different from need. But we get our needs and wants so mixed. Ahab needed another garden like an addict needs another shot in the arm. 
         Yet despite his wealth or maybe even because of his wealth Ahab fell ill to the disease of envy. He turned his face to the wall in depression. Today we have a modern name for this kind of covetous despair. This is the disease of affluenza. A journalist, Britt Peterson, reviewed the research on the far-reaching psychological effects of wealth in an article for The Boston Globe. Peterson wrote “Rich people have a harder time connecting with others, showing less empathy to the extent of dehumanizing those who are different from them. They are less charitable and generous. They are less likely to help someone in trouble.” Research shows that people who place a high value on wealth, status, and stuff are more depressed and anxious and less sociable than those who do not. Materialism is not just a personal problem. It is an environmental problem, a social problem and at heart a spiritual problem.  This is new research.  But Ahab shows that it was an old problem. When Ahab couldn’t buy or trade the ancestral lands of Naboth he took to his bed, couldn’t eat and turned his face to the wall.  Sounds like depression to me. Ahab suffered from our modern disease of “affluenza.”
         Our problem is we think we don’t have a problem. We fall into the delusion that we are free of envy. There is an Old Danish proverb that says, “If envy was a fever all the world would be ill.” Often we don’t even recognize that we are in the midst of envy.  Envy is so much a part of our worldview that we see covetousness with a veneer of glamour, or we call it an enterprising spirit, or healthy ambition, or getting ahead or just rewards or what we deserve. Secondly, we fall into the trap of thinking we don’t envy or covet because we dumb down those sins to only physical possessions. We can covet all kinds of non-physical things, a position or job or power, or privilege or security or a family or a relationship or a quality. We think we don’t covet because we don’t want other people’s stuff. We fall into what I call the “If only, Then” trap. We may think, “if only I had that person’s looks, or job, or family. If only I had a husband or a wife like that, if only I had kids like that, if only I had an education like that, if only I had ability like that, THEN I would be happy. So we look for fulfillment outside ourselves, outside of God and we turn our face to the wall. Our comparisons make us ill and sap our strength. If our envy goes unchecked it can lead us to very bad places. We can look not just to the warning tale of Ahab but also to the wisdom of Star Wars – Yoda once said “Envy leads to jealousy, jealousy leads to hate, hate leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side” We forget the dark side.  Ahab’s envy lead to depression, then anger, then Naboth became not a neighbor but an obstacle, not a person but an enemy to be murdered.
         Envy catches us and traps us. It interferes with our openness to God.  I think it works something like catching a monkey. I better explain to you how to catch a monkey. We don’t have a monkey here this morning but we have our imagination. So do you see this jar? I’m going to take this jar and put a banana inside it like this. I’ll put the jar down here on the floor. Then I’m going to tie this rope to the jar. Good. That’s nice and tight. Then I’m going to give the other end of the rope to one of you. If a monkey comes along and sees the banana inside he’ll say to himself. Hmm. I want to have that banana all to myself. So he reaches in and grabs the banana. He makes sure he is holding it very tightly in his hand. But when he tries to take his hand out he can’t remove it because he is making a fist holding on to the banana. He can’t get his hand out as long as he holds on to the banana. He could get away very easily if he just let go but he loves what ever is in the jar so much he just can’t let go. Then you just need to pull on this rope and you have caught a monkey with his hand in the jar.  Now a banana wouldn’t tempt me, but maybe chocolate would. Or maybe really, really, good chocolate, the kind rich people enjoy, the kind that says if I have that chocolate I will be in a dreamy world that is luxurious and safe and happy and beautiful. For that kind of chocolate I would grab a hold and not let go. And then I am trapped.  The only way to get free is to let go of the thing that is not just a luxury but is now a need. But to let go of what I think I need is counter intuitive. This is a spiritual leap. But see what happens when I let go.  If I let go of this false need. I am free.  If I give my need to God, I am free.  God can then break that jar and bust it wide open. Then my hand is free to receive God’s gifts something better and deeper. 
         Our spiritual work is to let go of the thing we think we need in the jar. There is a cure to affluenza, a cure for envy and covetousness.  It is called perspective and gratitude and humility.  Perspective allows us to understand that all we have is from God. We have no entitlements. We see the answer in part in Naboth’s answer. Naboth understood that what he had was a gift not just to him but also to his family.   To see possessions as gifts not rights opens the door to looking to God for our needs and our wants and learning the difference.
         So the question for you is “What’s in your jar?”  What are you hanging onto for dear life? And can you ask God to help you let go?
  
Amen.





* *Retold with a heavy Long Island accent.