Why Bother,... with a Church Community?



Acts 2:37-47
February 10, 2013

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and to the other apostles, ‘Brothers, what should we do?’ Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him.’ And he testified with many other arguments and exhorted them, saying, ‘Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.’ So those who welcomed his message were baptized, and that day about three thousand persons were added. They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

            It’s actually quite amazing that I’m standing here preaching to you today, because I could not have imagined this in 1983. Back then I believed that church was worthless, and that it actually got in the way of being spiritually healthy. This was not the same as saying that I didn’t care about God, or that I wasn’t spiritual. I was ahead of my time in declaring myself “spiritual but not religious.” That doesn’t mean that I was right in declaring myself to be “spiritual but not religious.” In fact, I was wrong.

            I was a product of so much that I had surrounded myself with in the late 1970s and early 80s. I had been delving into all sorts of eastern religious ideas, and in what now would be considered New Age ideas. Also, I was a product of my college major. I was a psychology major and was immersed in the thinking of 80s psychologists. They generally believed that church was for weak-minded people. A fair number of psychologists had declared that religious participation was a sign of (at worst) mental illness, or (at best) mental dysfunction. I thought the same way as them. I even clearly remember a conversation I had with a friend, when I said, “Christianity only gets in our my way. It keeps us from discovering who God really is.” In a lot of ways I was ahead of my time, because that’s the view many people have today of church. That doesn’t mean they are any more right than I was, but it is their perspective.

            Over time I discovered that this view of spirituality is really a highly American view, and it is one that, ironically, pulls us away from God. What led me to eventually become a pastor was that I ended up in a situation in which I had to deeply question my beliefs, and in the process I discovered the deeper path that God leads us on.

            You may or may not be all that interested in my transformation, but hopefully you won’t mind my sharing it with you anyway. It all began when I left my job in a psychiatric hospital in early 1983. I had been working as a therapist with teens and children. It was right after a particularly violent time in the hospital. There had been several mini-riots among the teens, and I was in the middle of one of them. At a teen dance several kids had gotten upset, one especially with me, and they started fighting staff and each other. Chairs were thrown, tables were overturned, and one kid punched me in the face. After grabbing him and holding him down, things slowly calmed, but I was shaken. Was this really what I wanted to do with my life?

            At the same time, we had a number of teens with a penchant for violence, including one who was caught with a small, hand-made weapon intended to hurt me. He had taken apart a clothes hanger, and then bent it so that when he made a fist, two jagged prongs would jut out between his fingers. The idea was that when he hit me with it the hanger would do a lot of damage to my face.

            I became burned-out. I didn’t know if I wanted to do this kind of work anymore, and I couldn’t understand why God would put me in such a bad situation. I couldn’t understand why God would allow me to be the target of violence when I cared so much about these kids, and was appreciated so much by the other 98% of them. So I quit, moved back home, and looked for another job.

            This was back in 1983, when the unemployment rate in the Pittsburgh area was 12%. I felt isolated, embarrassed to be back home as an adult, unable to find another job, and lonely. Again, I couldn’t understand why God would allow me to go through this experience. It was in the midst of this that I sensed I had been doing faith and spirituality on my own for too long. I started going to church. In January of 1984 I decided to join the church.

            My joining surprised the senior pastor of the church because he knew me as a steadfast spiritual independent. He asked me to come to his house to talk after church one day, so that we could discuss my joining. We sat in his living room, and he asked me, “Why do you want to join the church now? You’ve been so determined to go a different path up till now.” I opened my mouth to respond with the very articulate answer I had worked out ahead of time, anticipating his question, but I couldn’t get it out. I started to cry. I started to sob. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t really speak. The best I could do was to say, “I… can’t… do it… on… my… own… anymore.” I repeated that over and over.

            This was a significant event for me because it was my admitting that my solo spiritual path was a failure. I was admitting that all that independence I thought I had, all that spiritual self-reliance I thought I had, was a failure. I needed others. I needed a church. What a defeat! What an epiphany!

            I was so impacted by my experience with the pastor, both in my epiphany and in my joining the church, that it became the basis of my Ph.D. dissertation 12 years later, which was titled, From Individualistic to Communal Spirituality.

            Several months ago I spoke about the problem of forging a solo spiritual path. I mentioned that the biggest problem people have when they go their own path is that they adopt all sorts of spiritual wisdom and practices from different religions, but then they never adopt the one thing that is really common and essential to all of them, which is the communal part of it. The fact is that there is no spiritual tradition that emphasizes the individual over the communal. None. Every major religion emphasizes that to be truly spiritual requires community. This individualistic spirituality is an American tradition, but it is foreign to Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, shamanistic tribal religions, and Christianity. All of them stress that to grow closer to God, or whatever they understand God to be, we have to grow closer to each other. The main reason they emphasize this is that they all understand that a connection with the Holy means connection with each other.

Our associate pastor, Connie Frierson, talked about this two years ago in a really good sermon. Well,… all of her sermons are good. Anyway, she mentioned a groundbreaking book from 1985, Habits of the Heart, that studied American individualism. The book was written by a sociologist, Robert Bellah, and his team of researchers. They looked both at American society today, and throughout our history, and noted that Americans have always prized individualism, self-reliance, and independence. He noted that during the latter part of the 20th century a new kind of religion was forming, which he called Sheilaism. He coined the term after interviewing a woman named Sheila Larson, who told him that “I believe in God. I’m not a religious fanatic. I can’t remember the last time I went to church. My faith has carried me a long way. It’s Sheilaism.  Just my own little voice…  It’s just try to love yourself and be gentle with yourself.”  Bellah and his researchers noticed that Americans were creating their own religion based on their own beliefs, and that Sheila wasn’t alone. The problem is that, from every religion’s perspective, this path doesn’t quite lead effectively to God.

            We live in an individualistic culture, and our individualism actually does us a lot of harm. It’s led to a lack of commitment in relationships, marriages, parenting, workplaces, and so many other areas of life. It also leads to divisiveness because each of us believes our own truth is THE TRUTH. We aren’t always that open to other people’s perspectives on truth. I believe it also leads to high rates of depression. Worldwide studies have shown that the U.S., along with France, have the highest rates of depression in the world. We are also the two most individualistic countries. Between 19% and 21% in both countries report suffering from depression. The lowest rates of depression tend to come from lower income countries that emphasize community much more than we do. We have more money, possessions, opportunities than anywhere else, but we are also more depressed.

            Our individualistic approach also harms us in terms of our commitments, our ability to work together, and our susceptibility to depression. Still, what’s wrong with individualism when it comes to spirituality? Let me make two suggestions.

            First, an individualistic spirituality ends up making each of us a false spiritual expert, meaning we end up deciding who God is and what God wants, ignoring what the deep spiritual traditions teach. Simply put, we create God, spirituality, and religion in our own image. I’ve learned something from my dog, which is that given a choice she would never eat anything healthy, do what is good for her, or engage in totally healthy activities. She has to be trained to do so. If it was up to her, she would eat chocolate all day, which is poisonous for dogs, go to the farm field next door and eat cow manure, walk in the middle of the road, and poop in the house. She is very Aurora-focused. We tend to be similar when we create our own religions. We wouldn’t necessarily include others, we would make the path easy on ourselves, and we wouldn’t require a whole lot. And we would consume only those things that taste good spiritually, even if they made us spiritually sick. We would create religion according to our own desires, meaning that we would probably move further away from God than we thought we were, yet all the while we’d be thinking we were moving closer to God. In effect, when we choose an individualistic path, we end up creating God and religion in our own image, including in it all of our own faults and foibles.

            A church community overcomes this tendency by giving us a tradition to follow that is God-focused, not self-focused. It pushes us by training us to do spiritual things alone and TOGETHER that draw us closer to God.

            Second, spiritual individualism leads us to create God-substitutes. We tend to glorify things that appeal to us, or make us feel better, but that don’t necessarily lead to God. You can see this all throughout our culture. We worship sports, wealth, sex, exercise, drugs and alcohol, and anything that gives us a rush or a sense of power and imperviousness. It’s not that most of these things are bad in and of themselves. We just glorify them to a point at which one, two, or all of them become obsessions.

            What a church community does, when we are willing to work to be part of it, is that it pushes us to move beyond selfishness, self-focus, and self-reliance. It moves us more into God’s love by pushing us to connect with people we normally might ignore. I had a revelation early on in my ministry at Calvin Presbyterian Church. I was sitting in a session meeting and a thought popped up in my head. I looked around and thought, “These are the coolest people on earth. They’re working so well together and caring so much about each other. They are just so cool! And they are NOT the kind of people I would normally hang out with.” My epiphany was that churches create communities where we interact with, care about, and work with people we would never bother to get to know on our own.

            Think about your own experience in church. Are the people you’ve come to care about the people you would have done stuff with, or even become friends with, on your own? Are they people you would have cherished or even valued on your own? That’s the power of church community. It connects us with God’s vision of life, which is that we are to love each other without condition, no matter how different we all might be. That’s what it’s done for me. I now have relationships with people I might never have ever met, or done anything with otherwise.

            When you’re part of a church, you’re part of something special that opens you to each other, to God, and to life in a way that transcends what you can do on your own. And here’s the best part: you’re doing it right now!

            Amen.