Taking the Hand of Christ



a sermon by Harley Allen


 
Good morning.  I am Harley Allen and it is good to be here with you and have the opportunity to speak with you this morning. Last week we heard from Bill Lambert the CEO of a major company.  This week a retired kindergarten teacher stands before you.  Bill’s story quite was compelling and as I sat there in the pew, I began to wonder, why, oh why did I ever agree to do this.  I can’t possibly provide as powerful a message as Bill did. But on the drive home from church God revealed to me that is the beauty of this concept of preachers from the pew.  We all have stories to share about our faith journey and by sharing mine, my hope and prayer is the story will glorify God and serve to help one person draw closer to Him. Before I begin let’s come before God in prayer.
Dear Heavenly Father, we come to you humbly seeking to make a place in our hearts for you.  Keep us ever mindful of your presence.  Dear God I ask that you would use my words to your glory and pray they would help to further your kingdom here on earth.  In your Son’s holy name we pray, Amen.
As I prayerfully considered what I wanted to share with you this morning, it became obvious to me it was how my battles with illness have shaped my faith journey.  As many of you already know and as some of you are about to learn, I stand before you this morning engaged in my sixth battle with cancer.  It is easy for me to tell you that because with Gods’ help and by the power of the Holy Spirit and so many of His faithful servants extending the hand of Christ to me, I am at peace. Taking a page from Graham’s playbook, let’s start with a story.  Before I came Calvin, I had a twenty-three year history as a member of a Presbyterian Church in the North Hills. During those twenty-three years I was blessed to serve in a variety of capacities.  At the time when this story takes place, I was the Clerk of Session and the church had just called a new pastor.  In an effort to get to know the members of session better, that new pastor started his first session meeting by asking each session member to state his/her favorite scripture and give an explanation as to why it was meaningful to them. Elders are called to be the spiritual leaders of the church and although I belonged to the Men’s Bible study, a Couples Bible Study and read my Bible I have never been one to memorize Scripture.  I know it is one of the disciplines and I should be working to improve, but I just don’t.  As we went around the table, it became quite apparent my fellow Session members did practice the discipline of memorizing Scripture.  They were capable of naming the book, chapter and verses of their favorites.  I grew more and more apprehensive as my turn approached. Fear seized every fiber of my being. It was soon going to be my turn and I would be exposed for the slacker I am.  After all, I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of the other Session members, the associate pastor and our new head pastor.  Finally it was my turn and I had to sheepishly admit I didn’t know exactly where in the Bible it was located but I loved the story of Jesus walking on the water and Paul stepping out of the boat and walking to him.  Now did you catch that?  It wasn’t Paul it was Peter but my old nemesis, fear had gotten the better of me once again! Oh, he and I had battled many times throughout my life.   The new pastor was very gracious and reminded me it was Peter and said he liked that story as well.  He offered to loan me his copy of John Ortberg’s book, “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat”. I took him up on the offer.  I read it, liked it.  That scripture story has always resonated with me so I chose it as the Scripture for this morning’s message and of course I now know is located in:
Matthew: Chapter 14: 22-36. (The Message)
In the book of Matthew, the feeding of the Five Thousand immediate precedes the story of:
Jesus Walking on the Water
As soon as the meal was finished, he insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he dismissed the people. With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray.  He stayed there alone, late into the night.
Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves.  At about three o’clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water.  They were scared out of their wits.  “A ghost!” they said, crying out in terror.
But Jesus was quick to comfort them.  “Courage, it’s me.  Don’t be afraid.”
Peter, suddenly bold, said, “Master, if it is really you, call me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come ahead.”
Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus.  But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink.  He cried, “Master, save me!”
Jesus didn’t hesitate.  He reached down and grabbed his hand.  Then he said, “Faint-heart, what got into you?”
The two of the climbed into the boat, and the wind died down.  The disciples in the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshiped Jesus, saying, “This is it! Your are God’s Son for Sure!”

What a story!  It is simple and complex at the same time.  Peter was no stranger to boats or to the Sea of Galilee.  He was a fisherman before he left everything to become a disciple.  Many of the other disciples were also knowledgeable in the ways of the sea.  These men knew it was particularly dangerous to attempt to sail across the sea at night and must have wondered why Jesus would have asked them to cross to the other side so late in the evening.  From fishing for years, they knew storms were more likely to occur after dark and that is exactly what happened.  Let’s try to conjure up an image of the storm described in today’s Scripture.  It wasn’t a little rain shower; it was a furious squall with waves breaking over the boat so ferociously that the boat was nearly swamped. Needless to say, boats caught out in the sea are in immediate danger. Imagine the disciples sitting in that boat knowing their lives were in peril.  They were at the mercy of the elements when suddenly out of the darkness comes what appears to be a ghost walking on the water.  How could they have thought it was a ghost and not recognized Jesus?  Well, which is the case with so many of the Bible’s stories, we have the luxury of knowing the story.  We have the hindsight to know the figure approaching was Jesus.  They on the other hand, did not!  We really can’t be surprised they didn’t recognize him.  They were fighting for their lives with waves crashing in their faces. I don’t know about you, but I don’t find this an enviable position.  It’s three o’clock in the morning in the middle of a storm and suddenly they think they see a ghost.  Even though Jesus tells them to fear not, they remain justifiably terrified…  I’d like to depart from the Scripture story and share with you a time in my life when I was debilitated by fear just as the disciples were.   When I was in my mid-forties, life was chugging along just as I had hoped and prayed it would.  Janis, my wife, and I were living in a new home we loved, our daughter Kate was an honor student, outstanding musician and budding actress who, even as a teenager, was a joy to raise.  I was a respected kindergarten teacher and had recently become an adjunct professor at Portland State University and spent the summer traveling the country teaching a course on the implementation of the Standards and Practices of The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics for effective methodologies in mathematics instruction.  Life was good and even though I was thankful, I thought my success and the wonderful life we had was because I was in charge and had everything under control. I must confess at the time I was a card-carrying control freak.  As I said, things were under control and I was running on all cylinders.  But then, much like that night on the Sea of Galilee, a violent storm erupted in my life with one sentence from my doctor, “Harley, its cancer.”    Waves were suddenly crashing into my boat and I was quickly losing control.  A little six-letter word, cancer, started my world spinning out of control and I was shaken to the core because I was doing a great job running my life.  Please understand, I attended worship every week, studied my Bible and prayed with great regularity but in this situation I was just like the eleven disciples that huddled in the boat. Fear paralyzed me and I didn’t know where to turn or what to do. Instead of falling to my knees and asking God to help me, the control freak part of my personality kicked in and I went into research mode.  I read and studied everything I could find about the type of cancer I had and the treatment options that were available.  I seized control of the situation. I met with the doctor and was presented with a treatment plan of chemotherapy, and while it was, let’s say rather unpleasant, it was quite effective. But like the eleven, I had missed Christ walking right toward me.  I let fear blind me. If only I had reached my hand out to Him.  If I had only turned to God and let Him show me the way.  Suffice to say, 1996 was not the best year of my life physically and spiritually.   But let’s jump to the Harley that stands before you today. The present Harley is a changed, well, a changing man. Friends who have known me for years comment about see a difference in me.   Fear, particularly of cancer, no longer paralyses me.  This change didn’t come immediately and honestly I wish I could stand here and tell you had taken place much sooner than it did.  If it had, it would have been much easier to deal with the multiple occurrences between 1996 and 2012.  But that was then and now is now.  A slow transformation started about the time I began attending Calvin. I was welcomed into this community of believers with open arms and began to meet people.  I was connecting to worship in a way I hadn’t for years.  I literally couldn’t wait to get here on Sunday mornings.  Week after week it was as if Connie and Graham were inside my head and speaking the exact words I needed to hear.  So many times the prayer of humility or the opening chant would strike a chord with me.  Weekly Communion, something I always thought would diminish the significance of the meal, was resonating with me and I looked forward to it with great anticipation.  I found myself staring at the cross at the front of the sanctuary and connecting with Christ’s suffering, death and resurrection in a new and powerful way.  The combination of these factors played a significant role in the manner in which I would learn to deal with cancer  Last April I walked into my Urologist’s office a four-year check up and was told I had a recurrence of prostate cancer. You see, in 2007, as part of a physical and because of my age my doctor ordered a PSA screening.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer but went through successful surgery and had been cancer free for three years. I went into the appointment last April confident that I was going get another positive report but then one little sentence changed all that.  “Harley your PSA indicates the cancer is back.” How could that be?  I had the most radical surgery available, had twenty biopsies of my abdominal lymph system and had followed the doctor’s orders to the letter of the law. Yet the cancer was back.  Initially I was thrown for a loop.  But with time and the power of the Holy Spirit, I eventually became relatively comfortable with the new recurrence.  That was until the end of summer and early fall.  That’s when it all changed. I was being plagued with debilitating fatigue that affected every aspect of my life. But somehow this time something was different. I felt the storm gathering in the distance.  The winds of fear and doubt were increasing but the the storm stayed in the distance.   The waves weren’t crashing into my boat. In spite of the fatigue I began to notice the power of the Holy Spirit working in my life.   It made me think of when I first came to faith as a twenty-one year old college senior and a friend told me there is no such thing as a coincidence in the life of Christian.  It is the Holy Spirit at work.  Believe you me, last fall; the actions of the Holy Spirit were everywhere I turned.  It takes me back to that boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee.  Peter, the bold one, had the audacity to say, “If it’s you beckon me to come to you.”  Jesus did exactly that.  Without trepidation Peter stepped from that boat.  At least, he didn’t let the Messiah pass him by.  He responded to his call.  He had the courage to put fear aside and step out of the boat.  The liberator had freed him of fear.  He stepped onto the water and walked to Christ.  The fatigue brought on by the cancer allowed a sense of trepidation to grow in my life and it took all the courage I could muster to step out of my boat and reach for the hands of those who on Christ’s behalf were reaching out to help me. The Holy Spirit had put in place many people who were beckoning me to come to them and take their hand. Of course, I have the love and support of my wife and daughter who have been an endless fount of encouragement.  They have been there for me through all my cancer battles and have never waivered in their devotion to me. I will never be able to fully repay or give them enough thanks for all they’ve done for me.  As I said earlier, chemotherapy was unpleasant and often Janis and Katie bore the brunt of my discomfort and frustration.  When I, like Peter, would begin to doubt and start to sink, they would stretch out their hands and pull me up.

 The Holy Spirit placed before me the outstretched hands of the body of believers that help to make Calvin the special place it is.  I had the support of the men I had recently met by attending The Men’s Room.  They encouraged me and prayed for me. I will be ever grateful to those men who provided support to a newcomer and relative stranger.
Toni, what a blessing she has been.  We’ve known each other for years.  I have performed in musicals she has directed.  She seemed to know exactly when I needed a call of encouragement.  Through her phone calls and conversations, she stretched out her hand and lifted me up.  Coincidence?  No, not in the life of Christians.     Two others members of the Calvin Family who were reaching out are, without a doubt Graham and Connie.  Both of them stretched their hands out to me with words of encouragement and a blanket of prayer.  Early last fall Graham and I were sitting in his office talking.   In that conversation, he told me about Calvin’s Healing Prayer Ministry.  He suggested I talk with Connie to explore the possibility of bringing these prayer warriors into my battle with the cancer. In all honesty, the idea of meeting with them was somewhat disconcerting for me and I was somewhat reluctant to talk with Connie but eventually convinced myself I had nothing to lose except maybe a little control.  We spent the better part of an hour one morning discussing the work of the Healing Prayer Ministers.  My first question was – “Has the Holy Spirit gifted these people with healing?”  That wonderful smile of Connie’s spread across her face, as she gently replied, “No, they have the gift of prayer.”  I’m sure she was able to read the disappointment on my face.    She went on to explain that God would determine exactly what healing I needed and act accordingly.  I agreed to meet with them and I am sure your can surmise what healing I was hoping to receive.   Quite selfishly I was hoping for a miraculous cure and the cancer would be gone.  God knew better.  On my first meeting with Marie and Laurie, we talked about how I was feeling physically, emotionally and spiritually. Physically, I wasn’t experiencing any discomfort but the fatigue was beginning to impact every aspect of my life.  I was sleeping, not always soundly, anywhere from 12 to 16 hours a day but never felt rested. That is very uncharacteristic of me.  I usually fun full speed ahead and have energy to burn.   As we continued to talk it didn’t take long to determine my level of anxiety was very high. That was evidenced by the nightmares that were invading what little sleep I was getting and the restlessness that followed each of them.  We also determined my spirit was deflated.  I’m usually a pretty happy guy.  When I’m confronted with some obstacle or situation, I stop and think, in five years what effect will this have on my life.  If I’m going to be laughing about it in five years I might as well relax and laugh about it now.  Obviously, that strategy wasn’t working for me because five years from now this recurrence could have a significant impact on my life. We began to meet and pray and I have never had an experience like it.  Laurie and Marie met with me Tuesday morning after Tuesday morning and I cannot find the words to adequately express how those meetings changed my life.  Their prayers were genuine and pure and often left me in tears.  What amazed me the most was their investment in someone they hardly knew.  They are walking talking examples of Christ’s messengers extending a hand to me as I was sinking and pulling me up.  They taught me a great deal.  They taught me the power of centering prayer and suggested the use of a mantra to bring calmness to my mind and allow God to speak to me.  At the same time, I was reading Graham’s book, Discovering the Narrow Path and had just read about mantras.  It was also at that time he had us practice using a mantra as a part of one of his sermons.  Coincidence, I don’t think so.  It was the Holy Spirit providing me with opportunities to take the hands of Christ’s messengers and bring peace to my life.   The other gift Laurie and Marie gave to me was permission to pray on my own behalf.  Until that time most of my prayers were intercessory and prayers of thanksgiving.  I was very good at asking God to provide and care for others but somehow didn’t feel right about praying for my needs. These wonderful prayer warriors actually gave me words to pray that allowed me to come before God openly and honestly on my own behalf.  One powerful suggestion was as I was going to sleep I should pray that the healthy cells of my body would overtake the cancerous cells.  This opened up a new vista for me and allowed sound sleep to return.  The restless nights didn’t completely disappear but when I was awakened in the middle of the night I would go into my mantra, Bless the Lord, Oh my Soul.  Bless the Lord, Oh my Soul and my mind would become quiet and sleep would return.  It may sound strange but in my mind’s eye I actually can see a V of black begin to grow and lead me to my centered place where I was quiet and listened to God speak to me. These two women and the other members of the Healing Prayer Ministry are rare and I hope you all appreciate the blessing they are to so many people and are thankful for the powerful ministry they carry out.  I know I am.
 Fortunately, I am blessed to have others in my life who when I am like Peter and am overcome by fear and begin to sink, reach out in Christian love and pull me up.  There is my friend Eric whom I jokingly call my walking concordance.  He is always there when I need him.  It seems to me he knows when I need words of encouragement and is always there to provide them. Coincidence?  No, it is the Holy Spirit at work.  Eric is an inspiration that helps me and stretches out his hand when I allow fear to creep in and I start to sink.  Another rock in my life is my accountability partner, David.  David and I have met nearly every Saturday morning for the last thirteen years, we walk at North Park and confess to each other and then have breakfast together. Now here’s the groaner.  We meet at 5:30 a.m.  It is the only time we could find that no one else wanted.   He is always there for me and has been a rock throughout my various bouts with cancer.  He has the uncanny ability to say the things that I don’t always want to hear.  Recently when I got a little whiny about being sick again he said, “You my friend have beaten cancer five times because God intervened and answered the prayers that so many people lifted on your behalf. He went on to remind me of the power and strength available to me if I turned it over to God and let Him control the situation.  Not that I didn’t have to make informed decisions and be diligent in the treatment regimen but still allow God.  He also reminded me there are five families who are grieving the loss of their loved ones who did not survive their first occurrences.  Humbling to say the least. But, sometimes what we need to hear isn’t always the easiest thing to hear. 
In the time since the diagnosis of this latest recurrence, I have learned that peace comes when I relinquish control and ALLOW GOD. It should be very simple but it’s not.  All I can do is strive to extinguish my fear by relinquishing control and TRUST in God.  His majesty and might far exceed anything I can muster so why would I limit Him. I wish I could have learned these lessons after the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth occurrence and it isn’t as if I didn’t have Christian hands being extended to me then.  It’s just that I’m a little hard headed and sometimes I have to be hit with a 2X4 before I take notice.  What I am thankful for is God desires nothing more than for us to turn to him and as Bill said last week, “Whenever we turn to God, He is right there and He’s been there all along.  Our God is a good God who never turns away.  There are still times when fear starts to get the best of me and I begin to sink. But I know there are always hands being extended to pull me up, walk with me and provide the spiritual guidance and support I need.  Here’s one more example. The Holy Spirit even turned up in my voice lesson.  My voice teacher, Jeff, asked me to find the music for a particular song.  When I downloaded it and read the lyrics, I was reduced to tears.  Here’s the chorus: 
Is it the wind over my shoulder?
Is it the wind calling quietly?
Over the hilltops, down in the valley,
Never alone for your walk, with me.
No not alone. Not alone and I’ll never be.
Never alone for walk, you walk with me.

I am never alone.  The Holy Spirit has provided what seems like a never-ending stream of people who on Christ’s behalf extend their hands to me and pull me up when I begin to sink.
Those people help me live out Psalm 30:11-12
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.  Oh, Lord, my God, I will give you thanks forever.